How to Take Care of Jewelry?
A lot of you have asked us how to take care of your precious jewelry. So today we wanted to go over how to clean and take care of your Erin Fader Jewelry. If you want to ensure your gems and jewels last a long time, consider these tips. Let’s get started!
- Avoid spraying perfume directly on jewelry as this could interact with the metal (mostly gold plated jewelry is our concern).
- It is recommended to remove the jewelry at night to keep it lasting longer in prime condition. However, our gold-filled and 14k jewelry is top quality and we find that a lot of our customers can keep their jewels on as needed with long wear.
- Let lotion dry before putting on jewelry.
- Some substances like oil, sweat, and nail polish remover can interact with your jewelry so if you can try to avoid having jewelry interact if possible. We find that our gold-filled and 14k gold jewelry is pretty sturdy and can stand a yoga class or two ;)
- If you need to do a light cleaning, use a cotton ball or soft cloth to gently wipe your jewelry after use to remove any dust.
- If a light wipe down is just not doing the trick then we recommend a water-based cleaning solution. Use lukewarm water and gentle soap (not antibacterial or harsh cleaners for plated jewelry).
- Do not place jewelry near wood, as chemically treated surfaces like wood could interact with your jewelry. A soft cloth pouch or even a zip lock can be a good alternative.
- Gold plated jewelry will last longer in airtight containers. Tarnishing can happen with moisture in the air.
- Avoid leaving your beautiful gems in the sun, as the sunlight can dull gems.
Here are some additional tidbits depending on the type of metal your jewelry is.
- Store your silver with chalk as it absorbs moisture.
- Polishing cloths will keep your bling sparkling.
- Gold can scratch easily, so be sure to keep your treasures in a soft protected place.
- Hot tubs and gold-filled aren’t exactly best friends. Heavily chlorinated hot tubs can tarnish or react with your jewelry.
- Soft jewelry clothes can restore shine. Polishing cloths are also great!
Do you have any tips or suggestions on how to keep your jewelry in pristine condition? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!